Pointers on how to design eCommerce store header elements. Headers play an important role in any website, since designing an effective primary navigation is crucial.
1. Currency/Country/Language selector
If you support multiple currencies on your site, then use a drop down to enable shoppers to select the currency and/or the country. Ensure the option to choose the currency/country is highly prominent. If you can automatically detect the geographic location of the shopper, then set the default currency/country based on the location.
If your store is localized in 2 or 3 languages, then list them using the language’s own name itself across the website header so that the user can toggle between them.
If yours is a multilingual store, then use a drop down language selector that lists all the languages in alphabetical order.
2. Link to customer service
3. Navigation Menu
- Make your primary navigation prominent and simple with 5-7 choices
- When naming your categories, use words that your users are familiar with instead of inventing creative category names
- Make sure the top landing pages of your site are accessible from the main navigation
- Use top or left navigation based on the nature of your website
- Show the navigation menu consistently throughout the site except on the checkout page
- Indicate where the user is by highlighting the link in the navigation menu.